Are you moving? With summer just around the corner, many will be moving in the next few months. However, getting ready for a move can be a lot of work. Sorting, organizing and packing takes time and patience. Of all the rooms, the garage is often the one that gives us the biggest nightmares. Here are five tips to help you pack up your garage before your big move.
Step 1: Start with the garage when you are getting ready to move
Has your garage become a storage room for all your odds and ends? Do you break into a sweat at the very thought of having to pack up thegarage? This is why we suggest organizing the garage as the first step. Tackle the garage as soon as you decide to move. It is most likely the most overwhelming part of the house. As such, getting it over with early will help you later on in your move.
Step 2: Declutter and have a garage sale
Give yourself enough time to go through everything in your garage. The last thing you want is to move stuff you no longer need. Start by sorting your things. Make sure you have a large trash bin handy, so you can throw out any garbage. Then sort through the items you will keep, and those that are in good enough condition to sell or donate. If there is enough time, have a garage sale. You can also donate clothing and household goods to charities. Just make sure they are clean and in good condition.
Step 3: Get the right supplies for your move
Getting the right supplies for your move will make the whole process much smoother. As such, when packing your garage for your move ensure you have the following:
- Sturdy cardboard boxes: try to get a variety of sizes. Make sure they are sturdy as tools and power tools are heavy. And always assemble boxes with multiple layers of packing tape to secure them properly.
- Packing tape: get good quality packing tape and use multiple layers when assembling boxes. This is especially important for boxes that will carry heavier items, so be sure to run several strips along the bottom.
- Bubble wrap: use bubble wrap to protect fragile items.
- Packing paper or newspaper.
- Moving blankets to wrap larger items. You can ask your moving company.
- Small resealable bags: these will be especially handy when you are packing up small items like nuts, screws, nails and bolts.
Step 4: Dispose of hazardous items responsibly
Most moving companies will not move chemicals, flammables, propane tanks and so on. If you are storing paints, paint thinners, fertilizers and other hazardous materials, make sure to dispose of them in a responsible manner. For example, in Quebec, you can bring most of these to your local Ecocentre. Otherwise ask others if they would like to keep them.
Step 5: How to pack like a pro
Organization and proper packing are key to getting the job done right for your move. Here are a few tips to pack up common garage items:
- Give your toolbox a bit of a tidy up. Keep small tools like screwdrivers, hammers and so on in your toolbox.
- Group garden tools like rakes and shovels together with rope and tape and wrap in a blanket.
- If possible, pack power tools in their original boxes.
- Empty the fuel from all gas operated machinery such as lawnmowers and chainsaws.
- Clean and defrost freezers or fridges and wrap in moving blankets.
- Disassemble outdoor furniture and stack if possible.
- Wrap any sharp or fragile objects in bubble wrap or blankets.
- Label boxes properly to make unpacking and finding objects easier.
Moving to a new home can be an exciting adventure. While packing requires a lot of work, it is also a great time to declutter and organize. That way your life in your new home can start off on the right foot. These few tips will help you pack up your garage more efficiently. And remember, for all your garage door needs in your present or future home, contact Les spécialistes des portes Exitech inc. today.
Add new comment